Check it

My photo
Florida flat-lander refitting an Alberg 30, hull #329, for an eventual circumnavigation of the globe and the journey of a lifetime before I get too old!

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Deadlight Struggle

The past few days has been rainy and frustrating. I did manage to get a little more demolition in though! Nothing can stop me from being destructive.

Last week I removed the Goiot hatch lid over the saloon and sent it off to Select Plastics to have a new lens and new gasket installed. So now it is time to remove the base and the teak ring. While I am at it, I decided to remove the deadlights too. After all, how hard could it be!

Base removed. Sealant is chalky.

Teak ring. This is going to be tough to get off. Save for later! :P

There was no way for water to escape this box....

Feeling froggy, I attacked the deadlights. This is going to be easy, just remove the bolts and the frames and lens will simply fall in my lap!

Bolts out port side...

and in the bow....

starboard bow....

and finally starboard saloon.

I was certain this was going to be easy. Boy was I in for a big surprise. These deadlights are, or were, held in not by bolts but rather by the super duper silicone from hell that sealed them. I had no idea...

After messing around with a screw driver trying to gently pry the first frame off, it became apparent that I was going to need a beer...and another tool. I resorted to a metal putty knife which worked better once I found a point of weakness between the frame and the cabinside. Within seconds I knew this was going to much harder than I ever thought it would be.

First frame off after 45 minutes of CHISELING!

Close up of the silicone...

Three frames off in two hours. There has to be a better way!

By now the poor putty knife that I was using to chisel with gave up the ghost. I am glad because when I bought two new ones and used one I found something out. It is much easier if the tool is sharp! Duh...

So the next day I went back at it. It was still difficult to remove these things but mostly because I was trying to be very careful not to bend the frames. The exterior frames on the starboard side were much easier than the rest due to the fact they were exposed to direct sunlight and the silicone was softer. They were the last ones that I did and by then I needed a little break like that.

16 frames, 8 lens and 9 beers later...

Look Ma! No windows!

and of course within an hour it starts to rain....

Little did I know then but my phone was still in the boat. I only realized it after the deluge was coming down by the bucket.

I ordered two tubes of silicone caulk remover gel to get the crap off of the frames. I hope and pray it works! Stay tuned!


  1. I tell ya, nothing is easy on a sailboat ... LOL! It's gonna be worth it though .. looks like you're doing a great job!

    1. Holy crap! A comment! :P

      Its not easy but it is fun and the reward will well worth the effort! Thanks Cheryl!